Hello Blogland!! I hope everyone has had a wonderful start to 2013!!! I am looking forward to the new year! I’ve decided to have a “furlough” from thrift shopping clothes for the month of January and shop my closet a bit more. Plus I am taking Bella at The Citizen Rosebud’s shop Second-Hand First Pledge for 2013!!
First up is my back-to-work outfit!!! I’ve been looking for an ivory “fisherman’s” sweater and was able to score one last week for $1!!! The skirt is a re-fashion. It originally was a maxi sundress with one of those puckery elastic bodices and a string halter. There is too much boobage here to even consider it. BUT– I looked it over and decided I could cut the top off and make an elastic waist and WAH-LAH-maxi skirt!!! For $1!!!! I found another sundress similar in style for $2 and re-fashioned it into a skirt. THIS has opened up some possibilities!!!
I decided to try posing a little more “fun” in the morning. Although don’t expect much at 5:30am!!! Somedays all I can do is set the timer and shuffle over and smile maniacally!! This was after drinking a nice fresh glass of Kale & apple juice!!!
I thought about doing a retrospective of my 2012 outfits but frankly the thought bored ME!!! I decided to recap some of the changes I made this past year of blogging.
When I started the blog last December I had been lurking on several style blogs for months!! I had lost 25+ at that point (and 35.3 to date) and was looking for inspiration as I would have to start buying new clothes. I couldn’t really alter what I had anymore. At the time my “uniform” was colored jeans with a short or long sleeve printed t- shirt. Because of my job I can dress pretty casual if I choose too. I owned one black skirt, a pair of black dress pants and a couple of “dressy” tops (think DressBarn stuff).
I had really taken in some of those stupid “fat girl” rules, plus the “over 50 gal” rules so I was BORING to say the least. Like a peacock or colorful mawcaw in a grey sparrow suit. Reading all of your blogs and seeing ladies of my age and size taking chances and looking FABULOUS-I decided I can’t hide it (my body) so I might as well DECORATE it!!! So here’s a little list of what I’ve learned/embraced in no particular order!
1. Less make-up and “natural hair”!!! I used to wear loads of make-up. Mascara, eyeliner, 3 shades shadow, foundation, blush, lipstick, etc. I believe I was trying to draw attention away from my body to my face. As I’ve gotten more comfortable with my body–the less make-up I wore. Today I wear BB Cream(LOVE), Eyebrow Pencil, Burt’s Bee’s lip balm in Peony and occasionally charcoal eyeliner. I’ve been told I look YOUNGER!! I’ve been coloring my hair since age 16 (I started going grey then). This year I broke a fat girl doesn’t wear a pixie cut rule AND I’m letting it go silver!! I’m going for the Jamie Lee Curtis Look.
2. Belts–I owned none and now I have 6!!! Including leopard and python!!! I never wore them before because supposedly they are to define your waist and I don’t have one. Now I wear them because I like them with the outfit!!
3. Dresses- I owned none and now I have 8 and planning on sewing some more maxi dresses for summer. I LOVE maxi dresses!! I have 3 vintage dresses queued away until I can fit in them later this year!! Which brings me to:
4. Skirts-I now have quite the collection of skirts in prints and solids-at least a dozen. They are just as easy to wear as pants.
5. BOOTS-from none to 3 pair!! Love them with skirts in the winter.
6. Trousers-I used to wear colored jeans or regular jeans almost all the time-now I wear trousers instead. AND I’m wearing patterned trousers-pinstripes, glen plaids, brocades, windowpane plaids.
7. Speaking of patterns–I used to be seriously matchy-matchy but now I mix patterns and colors with glee!! I have embraced COLOR!! My co-workers comment sometimes I look like a bag of Skittles puked on me!!
8. I was somewhat accessory-free. I was pretty much no jewelry EXCEPT dangly earrings (draw attention to my face and away from my body) Today I have vintage brooches, bracelets, pendants of all kinds, SCARVES and hats, and funny to say–as my hair got shorter I have gravitated to post earrings (re-doing vintage clip-ons) and find my longer ones too fussy!
9. Discovered that I’m not much of a jacket gal. I had noticed so many bloggers wearing jackets to finish off an outfit. I was able to thrift some awesome ones. However, it seemed I had to force myself to wear them. I am much more “comfortable” in a cardigan. I kept my blue denim blazer and forest-green denim blazer and re-thrifted the rest. I look at it as “renting” the items on a trial basis.
10. Leopard–I’ve become addicted!!! Is there a self-help group?? I would’ve NEVER worn it in 2011 but now I have: 3 leopard tops, 2 leopard skirts, 1 leopard cardigan, 1 leopard purse, 1 leopard belt, and 2 leopard hats. I am on the hunt for stuff in snow leopard now!!!
I would like to share my number one “What The Heck Was I THINKING???” outfit of the year. Sad to say I also paid retail (on sale) for it. I was DESPERATE for a Mother of the Bride dress that I could wear again. I should’ve listened to my gut and made the fabulous pantsuit I wanted to which was ok with the bride. But I caved to other pressure and brought a dress. Which I wound up loathing. The beading on the neckline kept pulling it down in the front (thankfully I had on a camisole or SHOWTIME for the ta-tas) The length was less than flattering-allowing WAY to much of my lily-white legs to show. It looks FAR worse in the wedding photo’s taken outside. My legs glowed whiter than the bride’s dress!! The dress is gone but the cardigan was a keeper and was worn quite often last summer!
The Diva has informed me that she believes her adoring fans world-wide DESERVE a retrospective of HER in 2012. I think she thinks that I’m the Menopausel part of the blog and SHE’S the Supermodel!!! So watch here on Friday for the “Ode to the Diva 2012″ post!!
I’m off to suck down some excederin and maybe catch up on my blog-reading and posting. I’m quitting caffeine and my head feels like I’ve been on a Mad Dog 20/20 weekend bender. (For those of you not in the US-Mad Dog 20/20 is a very cheap wine. Usually it’s drunk from a paper bag covered bottle under a bridge)
Chat with y’all Friday!!